Your timber decking needs regular care and attention to help keep it looking great. An essential part of deck maintenance is either staining or oiling all the wood.
Deck Staining Services in Christchurch
Because we work with Christchurch decking every day, we sometimes forget that protecting your deck can be confusing for homeowners. Let’s reveal the key deck care points!
1. Decking oils come in both clear (natural) and colour options. They are designed to soak into the timber’s surface grain and protect your wood decking from within. Decking oils have high concentrations of oil and wax which make the boards resistant to water and dirt.
2. Decking stains coat the surface of the deck. They come in a wide range of colours and work to protect the timber by sealing it away from the weather and dirt. (It gets a bit confusing when coloured decking oils are sometimes labelled as ‘decking stain’).
3. Oils have excellent square metre coverage and can be rainproof in around 4-8 hours after application. They work from within to prevent cracking, splitting and warping of the boards, and may also include UV filters to protect the decking timber from UV damage.
4. The final colour of the deck oil can be impacted by the colour of the decking timber. (We can advise what the likely colour outcome will be).
5. Decking stains provide a highly durable layer of protection from both the weather and foot traffic. The colour pigments help reduce the impact of UV rays. Stains also provide good surface coverage, and many are quick drying. Deck stain also looks great on handrails and spindles.
6. Applying a stain to your deck discourages mould and algae from growing on the deck surface.
If you’re unsure about which decking product to use on your deck, please do get in touch.
Didn't answer your question? Get in touch below.Contact us
DJ Parkyn has got you covered.
Benefit from our solid reputation for painting and decorating excellence across Christchurch and Canterbury.
We can manage your entire project by coordinating sub-trades, scaffolding, access platforms, roof edge and floor protection – which prevents disruptions and ensures quality workmanship.
You have the peace of mind of the Master Painters New Zealand Association and Site Safe. Why? Because we care about the safety of our team and the quality of your completed project.
Related Painting and Decorating Services
From designer wallpaper to textured or feature wallpaper, we know how to hang.More Info
As specialist interior painters, we can tackle painting job, big or small.More Info
Painting your driveway, paths and paving to extend the life of your concrete.More Info